The award of the Nobel Peace Prize to Liu Xiaobo certainly a story that fills you with joy. But unfortunately I am sorry to see that once again the top award has been denied to mothers and grandmothers of Plaza de Mayo.
At three in the afternoon the heat is oppressive in piazza De Mayo. But I'm glad you are walking with their mothers, even the time to go around the square. The right thing to do.
-Do for over thirty years, why is so much that every Thursday, these women gather and march with their signs and their white handkerchiefs. Are now remained few, but that's okay.
now I see almost every year and I greet with affection. I spoke of them in Antarctica and in my first book Clouds do not ask permission .
Back in 1584 the number of feet away Hipolito Yrigoyen, where is their association. More than a home is a great community center. With its rooms for meetings, cinema halls, the theater looks like our old people's homes, before they were dancing. The library has its own entrance and provides books and publications of all kinds. For the most part concern the radical left and moved to Latin America: this is part of a precise political choice of the Mothers.
I ever moved a large room, where they prepare the banners of protest and where they are piled up thousands of posters with pictures of their children and grandchildren of the disappeared. Now this does not leave hardly any room, pictures of boys and girls who have disappeared in the night of the generals, the mass demonstrations are rare. But mothers still gather every Thursday in the Plaza de Mayo. Until when? Every time I venture this question the answer is always the same. "Until there is a single mother, that march."
march, march: and demand will always be the same. Simple and dramatic. "Adondo estan?". Where am I? Where are their children? They continue to repeat that question, never give up.
And I'll add my voice to theirs.
I'm not crazy, these women. Is still the critical conscience of this country. The living memory of this country, after having been the only voice that picked up and denounced the horrors of what happened.
could not remain silent and could not stand still. When they were allowed to remain outside the Casa Rosada, seat of government, they began walking in circles. An infinite row without interruption.
In this way they won the respect and admiration of the world. The military failed to reduce them to silence.
uploaded several times by police, beaten and arrested, three of them have followed the fate of their children. Writes Daniela Padoan in a wonderful book dedicated to them:
They have chosen what has hit them, but they took responsibility, transforming it into an ethical choice, in that it can not be otherwise.
And today, I saw with my eyes every time I come to the streets the people applaud, the nation embraces and welcomes you.
The square has become their square. If today you can think about the ethical redemption of the country is thanks to their perseverance, their tenacity.
Mothers and women. If the military did not doom the mistake of underestimating the Argentine women, many things would not sapute and that would be quite another butcher of the twentieth century.
Another mistake was not to return the bodies. At first it seemed a sensible move. In fact I think the very fact of not giving a body and a tomb to cry on, on which to mourn, has contributed greatly to unleash this rebellion is unique in the world. Reaction which, in fact, has also led to the end of the dictatorship and its defeat.
Department but these are the responsibility of the Italians who held prominent positions and places. Politicians, diplomats, the Catholic hierarchy not only did nothing to prevent what has been the largest massacre of Italians after the Second World War.
Then, with a shameful political decision is the matter closed. But it would be very important to continue the process and reopen if necessary, even in Italy.
0 comments:
Post a Comment