August 15, 2010. That fateful summer day, like every year, symbolizes a bit 'turn at the end of the summer. Everything is organized, this time at home with friends who come to vacation in Rome Selinunte almost every year. For the first time in my life, I am asked to contribute by bringing a cake, instead of wine. For lunch, classic menu, territorial toasted bread with tomato sauce, spaghetti with pesto garlic, tomato and basil, sausage and bacon grilled like rain (about 9 pounds, if I understand correctly, for 12 people to the number ). I am a vegetarian but, strangely, the sausage on the grill is the only type of meat that still excites me, as long as you devour a hot from the fire directly. At the table were in addition to the fatal, inevitable Coca Cola (now the most widespread of Christ crucified) even a few bottles of a young, tannic, a Sicilian "vin du pays" (I'd be almost tempted to say "dark red", but I refrain from doing so) from bad value for money (8 € the bottle!), produced by an emerging winery in Sicily, of which I shall conceal the name for obvious reasons. A wine that the landlord had in fact received a tribute from some local knowledge complacent. The classic wine "modern wine bar" or wine bar for those who love the style of neologisms anglosax. A good wine as an accompaniment to the "small talks" with 2 or 3 friends sitting at a table, whatever, but certainly not to accompany any dish worthy of the name. An exorbitant acidity and taste-olfactory persistence close to zero (as many "wine-whores" products for the U.S. or Asia), had, however, I must grudgingly admit, a great drinkable (obviously due to its great freshness), making it quite pleasant and popular, especially among women present, despite its characteristic taste and scent and size does not allow it to "cover" or spaghetti with pesto sauce (too much of these aromatic , through garlic) or the roasted meat (slightly structured wine). However, despite the bad wine at the table, two things have caught my attention. First, I note with satisfaction the approach of the ladies in the wine (despite my strong and clear slating "technical"). Secondly, to my amazement and delight, I noticed that the bottles of Coca Cola at the table were almost disdained. Conversely, all bottles of wine in question (can not remember if 5 or 6, without considering that if they have broken one) were made out. I do not happen for some time. Attending such a triumph of a wine at the table (and even low-profile!), Outclassed by the "sacrosanct" Coca Cola. The wine I was disappointed, I agree. And if I brought you it would not have happened. See many guests go crazy for that kind of "mouthwash" from purplish red color (but the packaging, I must say, well guessed) I was, first, a little 'pissed off, and the other reminds me of a singular thought Emile Peynaud great: "The taste is complies with the coarseness of intellect. Everyone drinks the wine that deserves it. " Oh well. Nevertheless, my heart rejoiced also, for the victory recorded in the Coke. The wine is already present at the dawn of history, (the great Epic of Gilgamesh, confirms it), after more than 5000 years, still managed to be the absolute ruler, unchallenged, of conviviality, of "living with others." The State of Wine at the conference organized in Rome by Gambero Rosso in May this year, the mega-techno-winemaker Riccardo Cotarella discussed, among other things, the U.S. wine market is constantly growing, with as main target women over 30 years professionally and socially established. Recalling all this, and having in mind inexorably declining consumption of wine in Italy, I had a flash and I said, and even if we were to write a stirred gentilsesso the domestic consumption of "liquid smelling"? Interesting hypothesis. Crown Caramel
Sommelier AIS
0 comments:
Post a Comment